Friday 29 July 2011

Hollywood Stitching

I often get distracted by amazing vintage clothing & decor when watching old movies and tv shows - much to the annoyance of the boyfriend, who frequently has to pause dvds and rewind them to hear dialogue drowned out by me saying loudly "ooh, look at that wallpaper!"

I'm similarly fascinated by characters knitting and sewing, and these pics of old Hollywood stars knitting on film sets = just awesome.

This week I've been watching lots of black and white movies via the BBC's iPlayer while doing lots of sewing and was totally entranced by the title credits of My Favorite Wife, a largely unremarkable Cary Grant comedy from 1940.


The film title, leading actors, director, etc are all embroidered on a series of lace-edged handkerchiefs, which are pulled away one by one to reveal the next panel.


How cool is that?

The film is available to view on the iPlayer (UK only) until Monday if you fancy a peek.

4 comments:

Hazel said...

I thought I was the only one who noticed lovely sets on shows! My new husband (one week old today!!)hates it. He hates it even more when I ask him to rewind a show so I can see a.. cookie jar/vase/book case/sofa/odds and ends etc! Let us unite in our "noticing of nice things" abilities! Huzzah!

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

Hhhmmm....am now wondering how to work "customized" embroidered handkerchiefs into wedding or bridal shower table decor. Thanks for a great post!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Haha, glad it's not just me who does that, Hazel :)

Embroidering the initials of your guests into handkerchiefs would make lovely wedding favours... lots of stitching, but something really special for everyone to keep!

Anonymous said...

Watching this movie right now. Wondering what happened to the hankies.